Wednesday

Review - Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Corgi childrens
ISBN: 978-0552546126

First Line - "Her laugh turned to a moan at the first ripple in her bones."
Vivian, at 16, is a beautiful young werewolf with all the young wolves in her pack howling for her. But then she falls in love with a human. If she reveals herself, will he be able to relish the magic of her dual nature? Then squabbles with her pack lead to a brutal murder.

I've bypassed this book quite a few times and it's been overlooked because of one thing....I didn't realise it was about werewolves. Had I known that, I'd have snapped it up long before now. How I missed this one I'll never know.

I was drawn into this within a few pages and the story just grabbed me. It's a story about teen angst and love and decisions and betrayal and loyalty and just generally growing up and coming of age.... but with werewolves. I very easily got caught up with the story of Vivian, who has as many problems, if not more, then your average teen.

This book may be geared towards a young adult audience, but it can definitely be enjoyed by those of us who are young at heart and can still remember their youth. Klause pulls off a sensual story about the supernatural without making it seem cheesy. The characters are believable, the shape shifter culture is well rounded and Vivian's world comes alive on the page.

I've got the film on DVD here too but I haven't watched it yet. I don't know the first thing about the film, I've avoided reading anything about it so I'll be going in blind :D

1 comment:

  1. Romance with a bit of bite, sounds like a good read. You must watch the dvd and see how it fares in comparison!

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete