Sunday

Review - Red winter by Drew Montgomery






Paperback: 291 pages
Publisher: 3.5 Miles Behind Stage Publishing
Publication date: 13 Apr 2013
ASIN: B007U92R4Q
Accounts of the plague are few and far between. No one knows how it started or how it spread so quickly, and even in the era of social media, little was recorded. There were, however, a few who struggled to keep hope alive, to maintain a semblance of normalcy in the face of panic. This is the blog of one such person, unaltered and unedited so that the world may know of the last days of life as we know it.

The fall of humankind told through one man's blog in the suspenseful prologue to The Plague, now available.

I found this one deep down in the far reaches of my kindle shelves so it must have been there some time as I rarely venture down there these days.  I'm guessing it must have been a freebie at some point because I wouldn't pay the current price of £0.99 for it.  It's 33 pages long.  Granted, it's not too terrible as short stories go, but still...33 pages. 

It's not without some typo's and at least one slippage in tense but overall it was entertaining while it lasted.  I'd actually be happy to read a full book about this apocalyptic world. The zombie apocalypse is always something I can get behind and rarely tire of and this was a nice addition.

It's set out in a sort of blog format and is written by a survivor on his own (If his name was given I don't remember it).  The blog entries are spaced out over about a month and it's nicely done and the pacing is good.  The ending was satisfying but I wish it could have gone on for longer.  It's quite hard to find good zombie fiction that is just about the surviving aspect but this one ticked most of my boxes so a bit disappointed it wasn't longer.  I see that the author has a longer one available called Plague though so I'll give that one a try too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment