Sunday

Review - Unbelievable by Jennifer Pickup

Kindle: 320 pages
Publisher: Unbound
Publication date: 05 April 2012
ASIN: B00WDP9IP8

Neona White is rather extraordinary. The thing is, while she knows that she's very different from other teenagers, she doesn't know quite how different…yet.

A traumatic incident leaves Neona without the desire to keep living and a fear that she's not entirely human, and her mother is less than forthcoming. She is soon sent to live with her Grandmother where, after making some unusual new friends, she begins a dangerous quest to unravel the mysteries of her identity. Her supernatural identity.

Neona continues to face the eternal struggle between what people want her to be and who she actually is, as the world she thought she knew begins to disclose its unbelievable secrets.

I read this over a few days and my enjoyment of it rose and fell throughout. In the end I came down on the side of 'Really liked' because it was a good story, but there were a few times when I thought it was going to end badly for my rating.

My biggest problem with it was the secrets and lies and all the cloak and dagger stuff. It drove me mad. The story itself is a good one but I felt that a lot of the suspense and angst just didn't make sense. It felt forced and as the story progressed it became obvious that the withholding of information wasn't justified or explainable.

The whole tale revolves around Neona (the heroine) being different but not knowing why or how. She asks those closest to her if they know anything that will help her figure it out and they all say "NO, we know nothing". Something happens and they all say "Oh yeah, I knew that but didn't tell you when you asked because....Really? I'm not sure why I can't/won't tell you". I'm paraphrasing but that's about the size of it all the way through. 

She asks questions - she gets no answers or only half answers - something happens and she finds out a bit more herself - they tell her they knew that all the time but didn't tell her - she asks if they know more - they say "No" - something new happens and she finds out they knew about that too - and on and on and on. It became tiresome. 

Having said all that, I did like the story. I would want to find out what happens next but if there is any more to this story I'll hope the 'secrecy for secrecy's sake' is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment